|In 1936 an Anticancer
Center with 50 beds was opened at the Radiology Institute of Medical Faculty
in Sofia. On its basis in 1950 a Research Institute of Oncology (RIO) was
In 1951 RIO moved on under the direction of the Institute for Qualification of the Physicians. The same year thirteen Regional Oncological Dispensaries were created. During its firs period of development (1950-1957) RIO became a leading center for diagnosing and treatment of the malignancy diseases, as well as a center for qualification of the physicians in the field of oncology.
In 1957 the Institute
moved in a new basis with 256 beds for diagnosing and treatment of patients
with cancer diseases and experimental laboratories for research activities.
Later on Research Institute of Oncology changed its name to National Oncology
Center of (NOC).
The basic activities of NOC are: